Sunday, September 26, 2010

DADT and the Nurse


A judge recently order a gay Air Force nurse to be reinstated to her position in the Air Force. Frankly I'm not sure if there is a legal precedent to this but I hope that it if it becomes a fight that it will go all the way to the Supreme Court. I've yet to really comment on the whole Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy but I frankly find it to be bigoted and counter-productive. These are people who in spite of the prejudice they receive in this country, still love this land enough to be willing to put themselves in danger for it's defense. It boggles my mind to think that we would ever be so callous as to not allow someone the opportunity to serve their country. And why? Because it might make someone uncomfortable? Well boo-frickin-hoo! That was the same argument people made against desegregating the military back in the day. And last time I checked that really hasn't been much of a problem what-so-ever. When bullets are flying in the air all that matters is if they can do their job and last time I checked someones sexual orientation really has no effect on how they are able to protect themselves and their fellow soldiers.

I'll be following this issue rather closely, not because I have any sort of issue with gay rights, I think that for the most part a lot of the social issues that surround gay rights can only be resolved over time, but more because it is a travesty to bar someone who wants to serve this country.


Hostgator rebate

No comments:

Post a Comment